Two weeks ago I attended the High Point Furniture Market. Twice a year thousands of designers, furniture buyers and exhibitors flood the little town of High Point, NC all ready to see the hottest trends in home decor.
With over 12 million sq. ft. of showrooms (yes you read that correctly) I walked several miles a day looking at gorgeous showrooms. I’ve gathered up the top 10 trends spotted at this spring’s showing.
1. Chinoiserie is prevalent! The Asian inspired pattern was seen everywhere this market. Most exhibitors are using the pattern in larger scale and using fun fresh colors to keep it current.
2. Metallics- Gold and brass continue to gain strength and dominated at most showrooms, but don’t think silver is taking a back seat-it’s sticking around too.
3. Neutrals are on the comeback…..high demand in upholstery- The farm to table and eco movements continue to influence us in all aspects of life. Color calms down and warm browns like cocoa, sable, and chocolate are predicted to be trending until 2016.
4. Coastal- One of my favorite styles. The mix of colors, natural materials and interesting artwork make this easy to incorporate into any home.
5. Feminine is in. Colors like pink, coral, aqua and pastels are predicted to be on trend until 2016.
6. Lacquered pieces-Lacquer crosses over between very traditional and very modern and has a glamorous appeal about it.
7. Fabric wrapped furniture- Whether it’s linen, leather, raffia, grass cloth or wallpaper, the textured effect of wrapped furniture instantly grabs your eye and softens the lines of the furniture.
8. Equestrian- Out with the owls and in with the horses. Once again, traditional with a modern flair continues to embraces America’s heritage.
9. Mid-Centruy modern- This iconic era of furnishings is going no-where. It’s sticking around while being paired with fun modern fabrics to lacquered metallic paint colors.
10. Marbling- This decor trend was first spotted at the 2013 spring market and is continuing to stick around. The beautiful color combinations are continuing to evolve and can be seen on anything from plates to wallpaper and murals.
11. BONUS: Geometric patterns- Geometric patterns are a sophisticated way to add visual interest to a space. This trend has been making it way for awhile now and continues to hold strength in the market place.
While I could go on and on about the 2014 trends. I must end it somewhere. Please leave comments or feedback about what you would like to see for future posts.